We don't sit back and wait for somebody else to provide information, we go out and actively seek it both in record offices and from private institutions. We try to involve as many of our members as possible in adding to our impressive collection of locally relevant research material.
Projects are increasingly organised so that members can work from home, transcribing and/or indexing from scanned copies of original archive material. In this way, every member has the opportunity to get involved.
Current and recent projects
We always have several projects on the go. Some recently completed projects and projects in which the society is currently involved include:
Bolton Workhouse Creed Registers
The admission registers for the Bolton Workhouse have, as is not unusual, been lost. However, the creed registers, which recorded the religion of those admitted have survived from 1867 onward and as well as names they record details of former residence, date of admission and (often) of discharge. Deaths are also recorded. Our Bolton Branch is currently transcribing these valuable records.
John Gartside,Sue Harding, Vanita Hulme, Frank Jones, Bob Winder
- 25 May 2022 Added 3,920 records for 1886-1890
- 04 Feb 2022 In 2021 the project added transcribed details from the Creed Registers of Bolton Workhouse for the years 1882-1886 and 1891-1892 (11,426 records)
- 28 May 2019 Transcribed details from the Creed Registers of Bolton Workhouse for the years 1869, 1871, 1873-80 and 1892-5 - Work in progress for other years. (22,581 records)
- 06 Apr 2019 Transcribed details from the Creed Registers of Bolton Workhouse for the years 1869, 1871, 1873-8 and 1892-5 have now been published in the member area Miscellaneous Database (17,922 records)
- 26 Aug 2017 Work continues on the Creed Registers
- 01 Dec 2016 All filmed registers have been digitized and are with transcribers.
- 27 Apr 2016 There are 5 Creed films and ALL are now being worked on by transcribers. Discussions re how to deal with the un-filmed Creed Registers are on-going with the History Centre.
- 04 Jan 2016 Work is in hand with 2 teams. They have completed several thousand entries. None have yet been added to the website.
Godfrey Map Index
The Alan Godfrey series of reproduction Ordnance Survey maps are invaluable for locating streets and named establshments between the mid19th and early 20th century. However, there is no index to identify which map is required or where on the map a particular street may be located. Work is in progress to create indexes to all of the maps which cover the Greater Manchester area.
Harry Bebbington, James Fieldhouse, John Gartside, Sheila Goodyear, Mike Halliday, Hilary Hartigan, Graham Holt, Valerie Poole, Martin Sullivan, Paul Thomas, Rita Whitefield, Lynne Wilkinson, Chris Willis
- 20 Sep 2023 Added 144 references for Moses Gate, 1908. indexed by Graham Holt
- 18 Sep 2023 Added 285 references for Tyldesley and Atherton (SE), 1905. indexed by Mike Halliday
- 05 Sep 2023 Added 772 references for Whitefield 1907, Little Lever 1907, Cleworth Hall 1907, Kearsley 1907, Clifton North & Wet Earth Colliery 1907, Partricroft & Monton 1906 indexed by Valerie Poole, Chris Willis and Mike Halliday
- 30 Aug 2023 Added 138 references for Walkden North, 1907 indexed by Mike Halliday
- 25 Aug 2023 Added 113 references for Little Hulton, 1907 indexed by Mike Halliday
- 23 Aug 2023 Added 69 references for Worsley Hall, 1904 indexed by Mike Halliday
- 11 Aug 2023 Added 290 references from Preswich 1915, Higher Blackley 1906 and Heaton Park 1907. Indexed by James Fieldhouse and Lynne Wilkinson.
- 07 Jul 2023 Added 1,037 references for: Bolton East 1908; Bolton South 1927; Farnworth 1908; Horwich South 1908; Lostock Junction 1907; Rumworth & Daubhill 1907 indexed by Graham Holt
- 10 Apr 2023 Added 859 references covering the maps for Pendlebury 1907 and Salford West 1931 indexed by Simon Harmsworth.
- 04 Feb 2023 Added 1,468 references: Leigh North 1892 and Leigh South 1892 Indexed by Chris Willis. Also Blackley & Lower Crumpsall 1915; Moston 1933; Trafford Park South 1937; Broughton Park & Crumpsall 1907 and Barlow Moor & West Didsbury 1905 indexed by John Marsden
- 31 Jan 2023 Added 357 references for Stalybridge & Ashton 1892. Indexed by John Gartside
- 19 Jan 2023 Added 414 references for Rainsough, Kersal & Hilton Park 1907, Wardley 1904 and Worsley 1904. Indexed by Chris Willis.
- 10 Jan 2023 Added 231 references for Westhoughton 1907 and Wingates & Chew Moor 1927. Indexed by John Gartside
- 31 Oct 2022 Added 200 references for Middleton 1915. Indexed by Paul Thomas.
- 01 Aug 2022 Added 264 references covering Bury South 1907, Bradley Fold 1910 and 1930 (double sided map) and Unsworth & SE Radcliffe 1932 Indexed by John Gartside
- 19 Jul 2022 Added 827 references to maps covering Whalley Range 1916, Urmston 1926, Flixton 1904,Trafford Park 1905, Eccles 1905, Walkden South 1908, Chorlton cum Hardy South 1905 indexed by Hilary Hartigan
- 13 Jul 2022 Added 654 index entries for Bolton 1908 and Bolton (NE) 1908 maps, indexed by Graham Holt
- 13 Jun 2022 Added a further 633 references for maps: Swinton Park 1907; Davyhulme 1894; Barton upon Irwell 1888; Stand & Outwood Gate 1907; Stoneclough 1907
- 19 May 2022 Added 575 entries for: Boothstown & Astley Green 1904; Radcliffe 1927; Radcliffe North 1908; Ainsworth 1908; Bradshaw 1908. Indexed by John Gartside
- 15 May 2022 Added 288 entries for Didsbury & Heaton Mersey 1904 and Fallowfield 1904 indexed by Martin Sullivan
- 08 May 2022 Added 214 index entries for the Newton Heath 1889 map indexed by Paul Thomas
- 18 Feb 2022 Added approximately 3,000 street references for Oldham and District maps to the Index. Indexes kindly supplied by Sheila Goodyear
Horwich Locomotive Works Staff Records
Horwich Works was opened in 1885 and was fully operational by 1892, with an erecting shop accommodating 90 engines and 30 tenders. This project involves the scanning and indexing of the staff record cards.
- 25 Aug 2023 A further 261 records added for surnames EDEN-THOMAS.
- 16 Aug 2023 A further 720 records added for surnames COATES-DODD.
- 11 Aug 2023 The first 1,322 records have been added to the Great Database. Scanning and indexing continue.
- 25 Jul 2023 The first of seven boxes of record cards has now been scanned in 3 batches. There is a total of around 1,800 cards in this box. The first batch is currently out for indexing.
Jewish Births and Marriages
This recent project, in association with Manchester Jewish Museum, will create an index to a number of births and marriages at the Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue in Cheetham - now familiar to Mancunians as the Manchester Jewish Museum.
LancashireBMD is a free public index of births, marriages and deaths registered at Register offices within the pre-1974 county of Lancashire. Our members have been involved in this invaluable project since it started in 2002 and have indexed the substantial majority of events registered in Manchester, Bolton and Oldham as well as substantial numbers in Salford.
Manchester and Oldham Burials
This ongoing project has so far produced a list of over half a million burials in and around Manchester and Oldham. Most of the central Manchester graveyards have been covered and current work is expanding to cover the graveyards in the surrounding townships, including Cheetham and Chorlton-on-Medlock.
Geoff Edge, John Gartside, Mark Harrey, John Lippiatt, Susan Mayall, Sylvia Massey
- 04 Aug 2023 Added Images and index to the register entries for burials 1808-1872 with images of the register 1808-1899 and 1941-1958. Transcribed by Cheyvonne Bower (326 records)
- 14 Sep 2022 Added 1,081 burials for St. Andrew, Ancoats 1831-1855 transcribed by Mark Harrey
- 28 Jul 2022 Added 1,600 burials for St. Stephen, Audenshaw 1898-1901 transcribed by Mark Harrey
- 21 Jun 2022 Added 1,860 burials for Ardwick, St. thomas 1786-1801 transcribed by Susan Mayall
- 20 Jun 2022 Added 1,591 burials for St. Stephen, Audenshaw 1884-1898 transcribed by Mark Harrey
- 25 May 2022 Added 1,588 burials for St. Stephen, Audenshaw transcribed by Mark Harrey
- 06 Apr 2022 Added 1,034 burials at Sacred Trinity Church, Salford, 1813-1854, transcribed by Mark Harrey.
- 12 Mar 2022 Added 489 burials from the final register for Pendlebury, St. John's Church 1940-1945. All burials now indexed. Single volume of burials for Sacred Trinity, Salford, now in progress.
- 25 Nov 2021 Added 1,586 burials for St. John, Pendlebury 1889-1907.
- 16 Nov 2021 Added 2,375 burials for St. John, Pendlebury 1842-1889 (transcriptions ongoing)
- 05 Nov 2021 Added 167 burials for Walmsley Old Chapel and 2,375 burials for Pendlebury, St. John.
- 11 Sep 2021 Added 2,400 burials for Harpurhey, Christ Church covering 1838-1860. Indexed by John Gartside
- 15 Feb 2021 Added 5,682 burials for King St., Salford, Bible Christians burial Ground 1814-1837 transcribed by Mark Harrey working with Geoff Edge.
- 15 Feb 2021 Added 2,036 burials 1890-1995 for Little Lever URC burial ground transcribed from the grave book by Sylvia Massey of Bolton Branch
- 15 Feb 2021 Added 2,058 burials at Higher Bridge St. Methodist Church 1810-1893 transcribed by John Lippiatt of Bolton Branch. More limited information on deceased than is usually expected in a burial register.
- 11 Oct 2020 A total of 16,559 burials for Chorlton-on-Medlock, All Saints Churchyard added to The Great Database.
- 09 Oct 2020 Indexing of all eight volumes for Chorlton-on-Medlock, All Saints substantially completed. Checking in progress.
- 09 Oct 2020 Indexing of further burials for King Street, Salford, Bible Christian Church agreed with Geoff Edge. This will extend coverage of the present index up to 1837 and will add another 5,676 burials to the Great Database.
- 20 Jul 2020 The indexing of Cheetham, St. Mark is now complete and data will be added to the Great Database shortly. Work has started on the eight volumes of burials for All Saints, Chorlton-on-Medlock 1820-1877 (about 14,000 burials)
- 05 Jul 2020 All registers for Newton Heath, All Saints and for Ardwick, St. Thomas now added to the Great Database. Work is progressing on burials at Cheetham, St. Mark.
- 14 Jun 2020 The first seven registers have now been added to The Great Database. This extends coverage to 1854-1903. Work is well advanced on the remaining five registers.
- 21 May 2020 The first two registers covering parish burials 1854-1883 have been completed and added to the Great Database. Work is well advanced on the three volumes of pauper burials 1861-1868.
- 29 Apr 2020 Indexing of St. Michael, Angel Meadow 1789-1854 completed. Data now added to The Great Database. Indexing of All Saints, Newton Heath, started.
- 07 Apr 2020 Work commenced on indexing of St. Michael, Angel Meadow 1789-1854
Manchester Catholic Registers
The Irish Branch of MLFHS, working with the Salford Diocesan Archive and the Catholic Family History Society, has created one of the most comprehensive indexes to names appearing in Roman Catholic baptism, marriage and burial registers. The index contains the names of over 800,000 persons named in the registers. The indexes have been published on CDROM and can be purchased from the MLFHS Online Shop
Beatrice Bentham, Rita Boulton, Audrey Bramwell, Mark Campbell, Celia Carey, Julia Casciani, Dorothy Clegg, Madeline Fogg, John Glennon, Allan Kirk, Carole Litster, Madeleine Fogg, Lawrence Gregory, Beryl Jones (R.I.P.), Marie Leonard, Elsie Lowe, Maureen Marshall, Nora McDonals, Peter MacDonald, Chris Norcross, Thelma Palmer Janet Parkes, Pat Redfern Pauline Riley, Elaine Watkins and Chris Walsh.
- 08 Feb 2023 Published a downloadable file to the MLFHS shop consisting of baptisms for St. Mary, Eccles Baptisms 1879-1923
- 05 Jan 2023 Published downloadable files to the MLFHS shop consisting of baptisms for Our Lady of Grace, Prestwich 1889-1923 and Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Ordsall, 1877-1912.
- 22 Feb 2022 The DVD containing indexes and transcripts for the baptism registers of five further catholic churches (plus images only of St. Casimir, Collyhurst, for which a transcriber capable of reading Polish and other Eastern European names was not found) has now been published. A further 243,155 names have been added to the Catholic Records Index taking the total to 1,076,294 names.
- 29 Dec 2021 Work is now completed on the baptism registers for the final five Manchester churches. A DVD will be issued once details of the church descriptions are available.
- 22 Aug 2019 The third DVD is complete and will shortly be published.
- 10 Jun 2019 Compilation of a third DVD containing indexes, transcripts and scans for five further churches has commenced.
- 09 Dec 2018 Baptisms for English Martrys, Whalley Range, Holy Name, Chorlton on Medlock and St. Anne, Ancoats have been completed. Data will be held pending further completions and issue of a third DVD.
- 16 Sep 2018 The latest DVD has been published containing index, transcripts and images for: Holy Family, All Saints: 1876-1908; Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Blackley: 1855-1908; St. Anne, Fairfield: 1856-1908; St. Bridget, Bradford: 1879-1918; St Francis of Assisi, Gorton: 1863-1903
- 21 Jun 2018 Latest DVD sent for copying.
- 29 Apr 2018 Transcriptions for St Francis, Gorton, St Anne Ancoats and Our Lady of Mt Carmel, Prestwich received. New DVD compiled. Now awaiting write-ups of churches from Lawrence Gregory before DVD ready to issue.
- 06 Jul 2017 Transcription for All Saints, Holy Trinity and Bradford, St. Bridget completed. Data to be held pending completion of sufficient registers to fill a DVD.
- 21 Nov 2016 DVD published for Corpus Christi Miles Platting, St, Edward Rusholme, St John Chorlton-cum-Hardy St Mary Levenshulme and St Michael Ancoats.
- 24 Aug 2016 Data for four churches is now ready to publish but awaiting church photos and descriptions from Salford diocesan Archives. These, all small, will be published as a single DVD.
- 27 Apr 2016 Index, transcript and images for St. William's now published on CD
- 02 Jan 2016 Indexing for St. Edward's, Rusholme completed
- 10 Nov 2015 CDROM for St. Cuthbert now published.
- 08 Sep 2015 Register for St. Mary, Levenshulme completed
- 04 Sep 2015 Transcription for Corpus Christi completed
- 14 Jul 2015 Transcriptions completed for St. Joseph and St. Cuthbert
- 31 May 2015 Transcription for St. William, Angel Meadow completed.
Manchester Crematorium Registers
The records of Manchester Crematorium were lost in the 1940 Blitz. By using the memorial plaques at the Crematorium, death notices in local newspapers and a variety of other sources, information has been recovered relating to about two-thirds of those cremated from the opening of the crematorium in 1893 up to the end of 1940. The project is ongoing as British Newspaper Archive publish further newspapers for the relevant period.
Mike Berrell (R.I.P.)
- 05 Nov 2021 Accumulated new obituaries have now been uploaded to the Great Database increasing the total by over 1,000 to 8,252.
- 22 Feb 2020 The release of further digitised copies of The Manchester Evening News by BNA has allowed substantial numbers of new records to be added. Work is ongoing for 1939-1940. Data from several sources has now been rationalised into a single register substitute which currently contains about 10,500 of the 16,000 cremations 1893-1940.
- 29 Apr 2018 Some further data identified in Southern Cemetery burial registers. Entries for interment of ashes to be extracted and incorporated alongside obituaries.
- 23 Dec 2016 Some further data is now available via British Newspaper Archive. Work will continue on an ad hoc basis to extract this data.
- 04 Sep 2015 Data collected to date has been sent to Findmypast for online publication.
- 06 Jan 2015 A further 110 entries added to the online index extracted from R Pepperdine Funeral Books in Archives.
- 24 Jun 2014 Further work has been carried out to extract obituaries available from publications in the British Newspaper Archive. About 100 new references have been obtained and the online database in the member area will be updated to include the new obituaries.
- 07 Jan 2014 This project continues essentially suspended though a small number of entries have been added from online newspapers.
- 29 Sep 2011 This project is currently suspended owing to difficulties with film readers at City Library.
Manchester Memorial Inscriptions
While most of Manchester's memorials are now long since removed, many transcripts were made before their removal. We have collected these into an unparalleled database of over 600,000 persons named on over 185,000 memorials in Manchester and the surrounding area.
John Evans, John Marsden
- 03 Aug 2023 Added 1,467 names from 340 memorials relating to memorials at St. Andrew's Church, Blackley from typescripts donated by Margaret Sloand and transcribed by Susan Fielding.
- 23 Oct 2019 A start has been made adding MIs for Urmston Cemetery to the database. These are currently being transcribed and will be added as MIs for each plot are completed. Progress on this work will be reported under a separate project heading.
- 28 Jan 2019 Transcriptions and indexes for four more cemeteries added to the database, including Sale, Brooklands Cemetery.
- 31 Oct 2018 Transcripts and index for the Mount Street and Jacksons Row Quaker burial grounds and for the Cathedral (taken from an 1834 publication) have been added to the online database.
- 15 Dec 2017 Of the 31 Grave Yards taken over by Manchester Corporation 23are finished, 2 have still to be scanned. The ones still to be done are the big ones with over 5000 graves in 2 cases. We are also doing some scanning for FHS Cheshire. These we have tentative permission to load to our web site
- 10 Aug 2017 Of the Grave Yards taken over by M/C Corporation & cleared 8 are completed. About 8 have still to be scanned. There are about 30 in total
- 15 Apr 2017 All the Fiche have been finished. There are still problems getting other Soc to allow us to load MIs originally done by them That dialogue is on going. In the mean time records of 32 Grave Yards taken over by M/C Council and recorded by them before clearing has been found. 3 have been scanned and the 1st is being digitized
- 23 Dec 2016 At the end of 2016 a total of 82,412 memorials have been added to the member area relating to 610 graveyards. The total number of name index entries is 302,101.
- 17 Dec 2016 By the end of December 2016 all the fiche will have been scanned. That will leave about 15 to be finished. Some just to be indexed but most to be typed and indexed. We have discovered that the Central Library have a number of MIs. It is difficult to get a clear statement as to what as their indexing system doesn't include 'Memorial Inscription' This has still to be explored. je
- 21 Nov 2016 Data added to member area database for 22 transcriptions for which the copyright cannot be determined. Totaling 8,840 memorials and 23,682 names.
- 29 Aug 2016 Data for most of the Lancashire graveyards now added to the database. Some remaining data sets are awaiting clarification of copyright permissions.
- 27 Apr 2016 MIs and indexes for all Manchester burial grounds scanned from printed originals now in member area index.
- 13 Jul 2014 paper versions for Lancs Cheshire & Manchester complete ex 2 .Fiche copies lots to be done. 200 Grave yards ready to load to web site
- 23 Jun 2014 Data for the 20 graveyards in Bolton has been added to the member area database.
Manchester Probate Names Index
There are plenty of indexes to those who left wills but few which name the executors, witnesses and beneficiaries, so much vital information goes unseen. This project created an index to the names appearing in the wills of Manchester residents between (initially) 1812 and 1837.
- 09 Oct 2020 Final batch of entries added to The Great Database to complete coverage 1812-1837, covering document updated. Project closed.
- 14 Jun 2020 Indexing is complete on about 65% of the first batch of data 1812-1821.
Manchester School for the Deaf Admissions
In a project supported by The Seashell Trust, the modern incarnation of the former Royal Manchester School for the Deaf, we are indexing the surviving admission registers to the school. This will be of value both to family historians and to those investigating the history and genetic aspects of deafness
Marie Collier, Susan Hilton-Brooks, Karen Hugill, Shirley King (deceased), Janet Moores, Chris Norcross.
- 16 Mar 2023 Added 2,777 records from the Pupil Rolls, 1825-1922. Scanned and indexed by Jim Chadwick and his team: Marie Collier, Karen Hugill, Janet Moores and Chris Norcross. Edit Delete
- 16 Mar 2023 The missing volume of admission documents covering admissions circa 1850 has been found and will be scanned and indexed at the earliest opportunity
- 02 Mar 2023 Added 1,667 records for admission registers 1885-1908-1922
- 25 Nov 2022 A further volume covering 85 admissions for dates 1921-1922 have been completed and added to The Great Database.
- 19 Nov 2022 A further four volumes covering 181 admissions for dates 1872-7; 1895-6 and 1922 have been completed and added to The Great Database. Only one final volume remains to be indexed.
- 11 Nov 2022 The final volume has been returned from the conservator and scanning is complete.
- 27 Oct 2022 A further volume covering 35 admissions 1825-1835 has been completed and added to The Great Database.
- 19 Oct 2022 A further two volumes covering 109 admissions 1879-1890 have been completed and added to The Great Database. Scanning is now complete except for the one volume which is being re-bound.
- 29 Sep 2022 A further four volumes covering 224 admissions at dates between 1859-1881 have been completed and added to The Great Database. The delay in the project caused by covid has allowed us to include a further volume of admissions 1921-22 within the project.
- 11 Sep 2022 A further three volumes covering 152 admissions 1851-1868 have been completed and added to The Great Database.
- 27 Jul 2022 A further three volumes covering 157 admissions 1855-1860 and 1870-1874 have been completed and added to The Great Database.
- 08 Jul 2022 A further volume covering 68 admissions 1881-1893 has been completed and added to The Great Database.
- 29 May 2022 A further volume covering 63 admissions 1882-1890 has been completed and added to The Great Database.
- 08 May 2022 A further volume covering admissions 1902-1904 has been completed and added to The Great Database
- 2 May 2022 A further volume covering admissions 1881-1889 (A-K) has been completed and added to The Great Databasexx
- 25 Apr 2022 A further volume covering admissions 1881-1889 (K-Z) has been completed and added to The Great Database.
- 09 Apr 2022 A further volume covering admissions 1887-1900 has been completed and added to The Great Database.
- 14 Mar 2022 A further volume covering admissions 1889-1895 has been completed and added to The Great Database.
- 12 Feb 2022 A further volume covering admissions 1889-1893 has been completed and added to The Great Database
- 05 Jan 2022 One further volume of admissions 1804-5 has been added to the Great Database.
- 29 Dec 2021 Approval now secured from Seashell Trust for conservation of the one volume which was not possible to scan owing to over-tight binding.
- 05 Nov 2021 Work on scanning the admissions has re-started. A quotation has been obtained to conserve one of the volumes so it is possible to scan it. This is now with Seashell Trust to approve funding
- 12 Sep 2021 The project has been 'on ice' during the covid pandemic but work is due to re-start in October with the scanning and indexing of the volumes assessed as scan with care. Remaining volumes considered unsafe to scan will be assessed before a course of action is decided.
- 05 May 2020 Three further registers added bringing the total to 17 registers. This completes all work scanned pre-coronavirus lockdown. Work will re-commence when safe access to the Library is possible.
- 29 Jan 2020 Four further registers have been completed and added to the miscellaneous database. A total of 13 registers have now been completed and 700 pupil records indexed.
- 24 Oct 2019 Three of the registers from Archives have now been scanned and processed for online access. Indexing is in progress.
- 15 Aug 2019 Scanning of material identified as satisfactory for scanning in conservator report has been agreed with Larysa Bolton and has commenced
- 22 Jul 2019 Indexes and images of all books received direct from Seashell trust are now online. Report received from conservator and now with Larysa Bolton for approval to scan those volumes which are deemed safe for scanning.
- 25 Jun 2019 Indexes to four registers are now online. Transcription of the remaining three is partially completed.
- 10 Jun 2019 All registers obtained from Seashell Trust have now been scanned. Indexing/checking of these is being concluded. An independent conservator has been engaged to examine the registers in Archives to report on suitability for scanning.
- 28 Apr 2019 Two further volumes have been scanned and indexed. These are awaiting processing to go online.
- 03 Apr 2019 The pilot volume and the first register 1916-19 are now online.
- 27 Nov 2018 Pilot volume scanned and indexing in progress. This is not a register as such, but a report on the outcomes for former pupils 1826-c1875. Scanning of the registers deposited in Archives has been held up pending appointment of a conservator (whose agreement is needed before this can proceed). Several volumes not yet deposited have been handed over to us by Seashell Trust and these are now being scanned for indexing.
The basis of this project is the transcription of birth, marriage and death announcements taken from the Manchester Courier and Manchester Mercury for the period 1800 to 1844. Being before civil registration and the first census with names, these announcements can be invaluable in locating an event in the church registers and often will provide more detail. There are also some smaller collections of transcripts including persons fined for contravening the WW2 blackout regulations.
Chris Hall, Chris Norcross, Laura Lewis
- 12 Aug 2023 Added 5,410 BMD announcements from Manchester Courier for 1847 to the Great Database. Transcribed by Linda Bailey, Laura Lewis, Chris Norcross and Chris Hall
- 01 May 2023 Added 4,833 BMD announcements from Manchester Courier for 1846 to the Great Database. Transcribed by Linda Bailey, Laura Lewis, Chris Norcross and Chris Hall
- 27 Mar 2023 Added 2,636 BMD announcements from Manchester Courier for 1845 to the Great Database. Transcribed by Linda Bailey, Laura Lewis, Chris Norcross and Chris Hall
- 18 Feb 2023 Added 2,774 BMD announcements from Manchester Courier for 1844 to the Great Database. Transcribed by Linda Bailey, Laura Lewis, Chris Norcross and Chris Hall
- 05 Jan 2023 Added 5,773 BMD announcements from Manchester Courier for 1842-43 and 719 reports of bigamy 1825-1860 to the Great Database. Transcribed by Linda Bailey, Laura Lewis, Chris Norcross and Chris Hall
- 09 Nov 2022 Added 6,127 BMD announcements from Manchester Courier for 1840-41 to the Great Database. Transcribed by Linda Bailey, Laura Lewis, Chris Norcross and Chris Hall
- 29 Aug 2022 Added 3,478 BMD announcements from Manchester Courier for 1838-9 to the Great Database. Transcribed by Linda Bailey Laura Lewis and Chris Hall
- 28 Jul 2022 Added 1,062 BMD references from the Manchester Mercury 1825 and 806 inquests etc. from the Manchester Courier 1830, 1832, 1834, 1835. Transcribed by Linda Bailey, Chris Hall and Chris Norcross.
- 25 May 2022 Added 3,069 BMD and Inquest references from the Manchester Mercury for 1823 and 1824 and Manchester Courier 1836-1840 (Inquests). Transcribed by Linda Bailey, Chris Hall and Chris Norcross.
- 26 Apr 2022 Added 380 references to persons fined for infringements of WW2 blackout regulations to the great Database. Transcribed by John Marsden and Joe Hilditch.
- 03 Apr 2022 Added 1,999 BMD references from the Manchester Mercury for 1821 and 1822. Transcribed by Linda Bailey and Chris Hall.
- 18 Feb 2022 Added 1,774 BMD references from the Manchester Mercury for 1816 and 1820. Transcribed by Linda Bailey and Chris Hall.
- 18 Feb 2022 Added 1,774 BMD references from the Manchester Mercury for 1816 and 1820. Transcribed by Linda Bailey and Chris Hall.
- 05 Jan 2022 866 birth, marriage and death announcements from the 1815 issues of the Manchester Mercury added to the Great Database.
- 29 Dec 2021 Added 1,787 BMD announcements from Manchester Courier for 1836 to the Great Database. Transcribed by Linda Bailey and Chris Hall.
- 16 Nov 2021 Added 1,787 BMD announcements from Manchester Courier for 1835 to the Great Database. This brings coverage to: Manchester Courier 1825, 1826, 1827, 1828, 1829, 1830, 1832, 1834, 1835, 1837, 1895 and Manchester Mercury 1804,1805, 1806, 1809, 1814 transcribed by Linda Bailey and Chris Hall (21,514 records).
- 09 Oct 2020 Further entries have been added to the index of BMD announcements in the Great Database. These are mostly from the Manchester Courier but a number from the Manchester Mercury have also been added. The index now contains a total of 10,411 references.
- 14 Jun 2020 Linda Bailey has started extracting BMD announcements, obituaries and inquest reports from The Manchester Courier for 1825 and 1895. Initial data amounts to some 2,109 records.
- 09 Apr 2018 Added 255 records taken from a history of Manchester Central High School for Boys containing names of Masters 1904-1950, former pupils killed in WW2 and former pupils awarded for gallantry in WW1.
Victoria Station War Memorial: Biographies
The memorial at Manchester's Victoria Station records the names of 1,463 employees of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company who fought in the Great War. MLFHS volunteer Frank Harrop has researched these men and, where possible, compiled biographical information about them. In the process he identified 35 men whose names had been omitted from the memorial.
All researchers will occasionally buy a birth, marriage or death certificate only to find that it is not the one they want. We collect these 'orphans', scan and index them and make them available online as a resource for our members.
Initially launched as a part of the commemoration of the centenary of the Great War, this project to record the names appearing on war memorials in Greater Manchester has so far recorded 64,000 names from over 900 memorials, most with photographs of the memorial concerned.
Joan Secker Wlodarczyk
Mike Berrell (R.I.P.), Bob Haynes
- 16 Nov 2021 Added 3,065 names from the new Oldham WW1 memorial (names omitted from the original memorial) and 270 names from the Men of Cadishead and Irlam memorial.
- 05 Nov 2021 Added 7 names from Oldham, Shaw, Salvation Army, Farrow Street, Memorial plaques (WW1 & WW2)
- 26 Sep 2021 Added 229 names from: Astley Wesleyan Methodist Church Memorial, WW1; Bickershaw War Memorial, St. James and St. Elizabeth Church, Bickershaw,WW1; Atherton Colliers Memorial, Atherton Parish Church House, WW1; Oldham, Shaw, St Paul's Methodist Church, Memorial Window, WW1
- 12 Sep 2021 Added 68 names from Bolton, Astley, St. Stephen's Church, WW1 memorial.
- 27 Dec 2018 At the end of 2018 the database contains 64,204 names (58,055 at the end of 2017), from 1085 memorials (995) accompanied by 3,637 (3,296) photographs.
- 09 Dec 2018 There are now references to 64,262 names taken from 1,084 memorials, with 3,641 photographs on the online database
- 09 May 2018 There are now references to 61,426 names taken from 1,043 memorials, with 3,518 photographs on the online database
- 29 Dec 2017 At the end of 2017 the database contains 58,055 names (57,387 at the end of 2016), from 995 memorials (890) accompanied by 3,296 (2,740) photographs.
- 14 Dec 2017 The database now contains 57,387 names (5,535 added in 2017), from 980 memorials (890) accompanied by 3,241 (501) photographs. Edit Delete
25 Sep 2017 A large number of images of churches where memorials are located supplied by Mike Berrell and now added to database. A large number of links have been added to sites and publications which provide more information on individual memorials, particularly for Stockport, Bolton, Trafford and Salford memorials.
- 26 Jun 2017 The total number of names on the index is now 53,976 taken from 912 memorials and accompanied by 2,805 photographs.
- 23 Dec 2016 The total number of names on the index is now 51,852 taken from 890 memorials and accompanied by 2,740 photographs. A number of photographs of memorials still remain to be transcribed and added to the index
- 15 Nov 2015 The total number of names on the index is now 42,227 taken from 636 memorials and accompanied by 1,906 photographs. A significant number of photographs of memorials still remain to be transcribed and added to the index.
- 04 Sep 2015 A total of 5,897 names from 93 memorials have been added since the previous update. 237 associated photographs have also been added.
- 30 May 2015 Management of this project has been transferred to Joan Secker-Wlodarczyk.
- 15 Jan 2013 2000 names taken from 35 Memorials 29,174 names from 299 memorials 594 Photographs relating to 180 memorials Photos supplied by Mike Berrell & John Marsden
- 16 Jan 2011 There were 5,246 names from 47 memorials added to the War Memorial Database which brings the total to 22,874 names from 161 memorials
A suitcase-full of letters written during the Great War to one of the teachers at the Zion Institute in Hulme, by servicemen who had been his students was passed on to the society. The project will involve the scanning and transcription of the letters and creation of an index to the names and events mentioned.
Helen Lowe (Scanning)
George Bradley (Transcription)
Malcolm Wood (Transcription)
- 06 Jun 2023 The first lettrs have been added to the web site as a public resource
- 21 May 2023 After some delays, scanning has re-started. Two initial volunteers are beginning transcription of previously scanned letters
- 30 Mar 2022 Scanning re-started
- 23 Mar 2022 Work on the project is about to re-commence.
- 12 Sep 2021 This project has been 'on ice' during the covid pandemic. It is hoped to resume work later this year.
- 15 Jan 2020 Project started. Helen Lowe has commenced first stage, to sort letters by author and date.